I really dislike helicopter parenting. It’s so contrary to my own parenting style that it grates on me when I see my MIL and worse the H leaning towards this style of parenting. I get that we often parent how we were parented and clearly the H was stifled by his overbearing mother, but loosen up! I feel no need to watch every single step my children take.
1. I often leave Bella in her baby proofed room with some toys and SHOCK walk away.
2. I let Bear play in my fenced in yard, outside, BY HIMSELF.
3. When they cough or sneeze I don’t take them to the doctor because I don’t need to pay someone $35 to tell me that they need rest and liquids. Me and google can figure that out for free.
4. I take my kids to the playground, where there are germs and other children and the possibility of a concussion. BECAUSE ITS A PLAYGROUND not a minefield last I checked.
5. The H doesn’t like when the kids get messy. He won’t let them play arts and crafts and he doesn’t like when they eat spaghetti. They’re kids the more messy the better I say!
Also, if you can’t tell I recently discovered the gloriousness of paint and am amusing myself with pictures. Oddly enough my first foray into paint was before my discovery of a blog dedicated to ridiculous pictures such as my own. If you like mine you’ll probably like hers better. Clearly we’re brothers from another mother.
Written for Mama Kat’s Writers Workshop, go read some other great posts!